8 Ways to Fight Bad Breath and Freshen up Your Mouth
Bad breath can be quite embarrassing when you’re speaking to someone right in front of you. At the workplace, you can be a butt of the joke. Colleagues may laugh behind your back. And, if you’re dating someone, then he/she may avoid kissing you just for this particular reason. Both are equally humiliating and embarrassing for you.
Halitosis – this is the medical term of bad breath. This is a dental disease where a foul odour comes out from the mouth. Around 25% to 30% of people suffer from this dental disease and need fresh breathe treatment. Many people ignore this dental disease but that is not good. It’s a medical issue and should be treated as soon as possible.
Ways to get rid of bad breathe and feel fresh
Although it’s best to consult a dentist to fight bad breath, there are a few ways to make your mouth feel fresh. Here are some of them.
- Brush and floss: Plaque is the biggest cause of bad breath. Don’t know what is plaque? Well, it’s the sticky buildup on your teeth. It feeds on bacteria and leads to mouth odour.
Brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing once a day can help to keep your breath fresh. They help to remove trapped food from your mouth and eradicate bad breath. But don’t start brushing after each meal. That can make your teeth susceptible to decay.
One tip: Change your toothbrush once in 2 to 3 months.
Flossing helps to eradicate food particles that are trapped in between the teeth in such a way that a toothbrush can’t reach. If the food particles remain there, the bacteria will feed on them, leading to bad breath.
- Avoid certain kinds of foods: Onions and garlic are a crucial part of the Indian diet. But they exude strong smell especially when you eat them raw. When you’re already suffering from halitosis, you should avoid eating these vegetables since they have a strong odour. Even brushing and flossing don’t help to remove the odour.
- Clean your tongue properly: The coating on your tongue is a storehouse of smelly bacteria. Brush your tongue with a good toothbrush to scrape the coating. If it’s difficult for you to reach the end of your tongue with the toothbrush, then use a scraper instead. A scraper puts equal pressure on each part of the tongue and can easily remove dead cells, food particles, and bacteria from it.
- Use a good mouthwash: Before getting out of your house, swish mouthwash at different corners of your mouth. It not only helps you to kill bacteria but also leaves a mint taste in your mouth, which is quite refreshing. But be very choosy before selecting the mouthwash. It should skill germs causing bad breath in your mouth. If you don’t have any mouthwash, then you can even swish water in your mouth. It may help to remove food particles trapped in your teeth.
- Abstain from tobacco: Apart from causing cancer, smoking can lead to bad breath. It can ruin your gums and give you bad breath. Many non-smokers feel suffocated when someone sits beside them after smoking. If you’re a chain smoker, then try to avoid consuming tobacco. If you’re addicted to smoking, then book an appointment with a doctor who can suggest medications or programs give up tobacco.
- Drink lots of water: Sometimes, bad breath and tooth decay can happen when your mouth doesn’t generate enough saliva. Your mouth becomes dry due to a lack of saliva. In such a scenario, you should drink lots of water throughout the day. Besides drinking water, chew sugarless candies or gums to keep your gums healthy. These foods help to moisten your mouth.
- Chew cloves and citric fruits: Some spices like cloves, cinnamon chewing sticks, fennel seeds, and aniseeds have anti-septic qualities. These spices help to fight halitosis-creating bacteria. Apart from these spices, you can chew citric fruits like orange and lemon. These fruits act as natural mouth-fresheners. Plus, they are full of flavour. Your tongue will love the flavour.
Some herbs like mint, cilantro, parsley, and basil fight mouth odours. You can chew these herbs to freshen up your mouth.
- Use essential oils: Peppermint and lemongrass essential oils have anti-microbial properties that kill bacteria and make your mouth fresh. Mix some drops of essential oils with water and swish the mixture inside your mouth for 30 seconds. That may help to get rid of bad breath.
If you’re suffering from halitosis and need fresh breath treatment, then consult a dentist immediately. A dentist can tell you if home remedies are enough to cure your dental disease. Otherwise, he may suggest proper dental treatments to get rid of bad breath. For instance, he may suggest you opt for scaling if tartar has developed in your teeth. Scaling is an effective fresh breath treatment where tartar is removed from your mouth and eliminates bad breath.