Best Protein Supplement For Vegetarians Those Who Are Lactose Intolerant
Whether you have chosen to consume a vegan diet or suffer from lactose intolerance, you might be in a bit of a dilemma when choosing a protein supplement. Most supplements contain whey protein which is derived from milk. This is not suitable for either vegans or individuals who are lactose intolerant. Here is everything you need to know about finding the best vegetarian protein powder to suit your fitness needs.
What Is a Vegetarian Protein Powder?
A vegetarian protein powder is one that is made with only plant-based protein sources. With more people becoming increasingly conscious about their diet and nutrition, these protein supplements have become very popular.
Known as green proteins or vegetarian protein powder, these supplements contain sources like soy, pea, or brown rice that are known to give you the same benefits as any other type of protein source.
Benefits of a Vegetarian Protein Powder
In addition to their nutritional benefits, vegetarian protein supplements like green 100% Vegan Protein Powder have many advantages:
- They aid muscle development and recovery: As opposed to popular belief, even plant proteins contain all 9 essential amino acids, making them complete protein sources. They also provide a high protein concentration in each serving. These properties ensure that your muscles are able to recover quickly after strenuous training. They also help in the development of new muscle fibers more effectively.
- Improved digestion: Plant proteins give you the benefits of plant enzymes like papain that boost digestion and absorption of protein and other nutrients. They also improve your overall gut health.
- Added nutritional benefits: The common plant-based sources used in these vegetarian proteins also give you the added benefits of vitamins and minerals. Plants are the primary source of these micronutrients, making these supplements the best choice for improved nutritional intake.
- Ethical choice: Vegetarian protein powders are cruelty-free. Therefore, they are the more ethical choice when it comes to nutritional supplements.
- Sustainable choice: The processing and manufacturing of animal-based protein supplements utilise a lot more water and electricity. So, a vegetarian protein is not just good for you, but good for the planet as well.
Choosing the Best Vegetarian Protein Powder
There are some easy tips to help you choose the best vegetarian protein powder that is in line with your own fitness goals:
- Multiple protein sources: As mentioned above, all plant proteins are complete proteins with all 9 amino acids. However, they vary in the concentration of these amino acids. Ideally, you must combine multiple plant-based protein sources to ensure optimal consumption of all the essential amino acids. Look for products that include combinations like pea protein and rice protein as they are complementary to each other.
- Amount of protein per serving: The idea of using a protein supplement is to make sure that you get your daily required protein intake based on your age and fitness levels. Therefore, you must check the protein available in each serving. For beginners, the right amount is between 15-20g per serving while individuals at a more advanced level require 30g of protein in each serving at least.
- Low sugar and fat: Avoid products that contain more than 1g of sugar or fat. You have zero sugar and fat options as well. It is also recommended that you choose a product that contains natural sugar sources for best results.
- Choose a reliable brand: There are a few pointers to choose the right brand. Make sure that they have invested in using clinically researched products. It is even better if the product is third-party tested. You can also check the reviews of the product on popular bodybuilding websites and nutritional forums.
Vegetarian protein supplements are just as good as animal proteins when it comes to fitness and nutritional benefits. With all the health benefits that come with it, it could be the right option for all your needs.