Signs It’s Time to Replace Your Dryer
A malfunctioning dryer can become the source of extreme frustration since it’s one of the household appliances that we heavily rely on for our laundry duties. Sometimes, you may be able to fix the minor problems that are plaguing your dryer. However, for major problems, you must search “dryer repair near me” online to find a professional dryer repair technician. And, if you are really unlucky, you have to start looking for a new dryer.
Here are a few signs it’s time to replace your dryer:
1. Long drying times – Start paying attention to how long it takes the dryer to dry your clothes properly. The efficiency of a dryer gets lower the older it gets. At first, it may take about 5 minutes longer to dry the same load and may be barely noticeable. However, the drying time can start to take even longer and if it becomes noticeable enough, it’s time to call a dryer repair technician or purchase a new one.
2. Strange sounds or excessive noise – The drum belt or rollers of a dryer can wear out due to age and it starts to result in high-pitched squealing, rattling, or banging noises. A defective blower wheel or other mechanical components may also result in excessive noise. If the issue is not fixed promptly, it may result in a complete breakdown of the dryer which can not only cost more to fix but can also prove to become a safety hazard.
3. Burning smell – If your dryer is emitting a burning smell, you should definitely not ignore it. Sometimes, a burning smell may be the result of an unclean lint basket, or a jammed or broken hose that prevents the hot air from escaping. However, most of the time, that’s not the case and it can cause major safety hazards. And, sometimes, your clothes may come out burnt which is fairly noticeable.
If you cannot locate the reason or source of the burning smell, turn off the dryer immediately and contact a professional dryer technician as soon as possible.
4. Your clothes are not drying properly – Aside from long drying times, another key reason why people frequently replace their dryer is when their clothes don’t dry properly. You could easily notice this if certain parts of your clothes feel wet or damp after the drying cycle is over. To rule out any small issues, clear all the lint screens and check whether the vent outside of your home has a strong airflow. Sometimes, bends in the air duct behind your dryer may block the air from escaping.
However, if you still cannot figure out the real issue, it’s time to call a dryer repair technician or replace the appliance.
5. Exposed wiring – Sometimes, people fail to notice big issues before it causes a major problem. In some cases, the wiring of a dryer may become exposed due to age and can cause a multitude of problems. However, since they are hidden behind the back panel, you may fail to notice the problem. Unplug your dryer and open the back panel. Look for signs of peeling plastic coating or cracker wire coverings. If you notice a smoky odor or exposed wiring, you should stop using the dryer for a while and seek professional help to prevent catastrophes such as a house fire.
6. Drum not spinning – If your dryer is not tumbling (i.e., the drum is not spinning) you may think that it’s time to replace the old appliance. However, oftentimes, you can fix the problem by seeking the help of a professional dryer repair technician. Sometimes, the problem is due to a snapped belt that can be easily replaced and save you a lot of money. Other times, it may be due to a faulty sensor, laundry overload, a faulty switch, or the dryer motor itself. Regardless of the cause, it is much cheaper to fix than replacing the appliance.
7. Dryer doesn’t start at all or stops mid-cycle – The most common problem in a dryer is the fail-to-start problem. This could happen due to a number of reasons such as a faulty power cord, a faulty power outlet, and more. However, more often than not, it is due to a safety feature installed in the door sensor which prevents the dryer from starting if it detects that the door has not been closed properly.
And, if your dryer often stops mid-cycle, it could signal an electrical issue or overheating components. Sometimes, it’s caused due to blockage in the ventilation or faulty electrical sensors.
8. Dryer is moving around – Old dryers sometimes tend not to stay at a specific location. This can happen due to excessive vibrations of the mechanical components inside the dyer and if it is not level with the ground. A dryer repair technician can check for faults and let you know whether the machine needs a minor repair, or it has become necessary to change the appliance.
9. It’s near the end of its lifespan – According to consumer reports, most dryers last between 10 to 13 years. Thus, it’s not a bad idea to consider replacing the appliance after it reaches the 10-year mark. You would be able to enjoy better features in the new appliance and greater energy efficiency due to a better energy star label which could indicate less electricity bills.
10. It cannot be repaired anymore – Sometimes, you may try everything you can do to fix a dryer, including replacing parts such as the motor, sensors, dryer belt, but it may still refuse to stay in top condition. In such cases, keeping the old appliance would only cost you more money and it is better to invest in a modern appliance since they are available for cheap nowadays.
Before you consider purchasing a new dryer, make sure to search “dryer repair near me” on Google to hire the help of a professional dryer technician. Many times, a professional may be able to fix a problem that you thought was unfixable and it could save you a lot of money.